Rachel was raised in the Blue Ridge Mountains where she learned goose wrangling and Photoshop. After watching Chasing Amy at the tender age of 14, she started making comics which helped her escape rural poverty and lead to several industry awards: A Kim Yale for best new femal talent and a Nerdlinger in 2007.
Rachel had always built sites and tinkered with opensource CMSes to help manage her burgeoning following and promote her comics, but when life happened, she shifted gears whole heartedly to web development. Trying to find the niche where she belonged, she experimented with working in web design, UX, programming, and finally settled into front-end development.
The widespread adoption of CSS Animations and Transitions rekindled her creative spark in 2012 when she delivered her first talk on Flashless animation. After that, she was hooked! After traveling the world, spreading the good news, she founded her own company, Tin Magpie, where she focuses on training the world in the art of web animation and publishing the odd interactive story.
Rachel loves traveling, studying birds, playing Pokémon, and wearing boots, making comics, and helping people learn. When not biking around her new home city of Portland, you can find her tending her orchids or brewing a hot cup of golden tippy Yunnan in a gaiwan pot. You can catch her as @rachelnabors on Twitter.
Speak to me about…
- Training your team to master web animation
- Speaking at your conference
- Making awesome things
Email me at aloha at rachelnabors dot com
- Best-of CSS Dev Conf 2013
- Kim Yale Award for Best New Female Talent in Comics 2007
- Nerdlinger Award 2007
- Core contributor of Sass Animation Studio
- Self-proclaimed rival of Brad Colbow
Past and Future Speaking Arrangements
- jQuery Europe, Vienna
- Multimedial, Denmark
- Future of Web Design, London
360 Intersect, SeattleCancelled
- La Conf, Paris
- Rustbelt Refresh, Cleveland
- Giant Conf, Charleston
- Foo Camp
- CSS Summit, online
- OSCON, keynote
- Portland Film Festival transmedia storytelling panel
- Fronteers & animation workshop
- CSS Dev Conf, New Orleans & animation workshop
- FOWD NYC
- WebVisions NYC
- WebVisions Portland + Workshop
- Fluent, San Francisco Recorded Lightning Talk
- jQuery Portland Recorded Presentation
- WebVisions Barcelona + Workshop
- Gotham JS
- CSS Summit, online
- Frontend Conference, Zurich Recorded Presentation
- Blend Conf, Charlotte
- CSS Conf EU, Berlin
- The Front End Brothers, Bologna
- Frontend Masters, Minneapolis + Online
Sass Conf, New York CityUnable to attend because of illness-induced scheduling issues.
- CSS Dev Conf, Colorado
- Midwest UX Chaired panel on Women in UX and gave an Ignite-style talk on Wabi-sabi and the beauty of imperfection
- Blog Her Chaired a panel on Telling Stories with Pictures: Incorporating Graphics, Cartoons, and Iconography.
- edUi Giving talk about telling stories with words and pictures: web design meets sequential art.
- CSS Dev Conference Showing people how to make Music Videos with CSS3 and HTML5.
- NC Dev Con Gave talk on Comics and Design: How to tell stories with pictures and words.
- WordCamp Raleigh Gave presentation on Simple Steps to WordPress Security.